When I started my "official" training for the Portland Marathon a few months ago I posted a list of goals for the race. Since then, my overall goals have changed a bit and the Portland Marathon has now become a step toward the JFK 50 Mile run next month.
So I am posting my original goals for Sunday's Portland Marathon, with current revisions in red:
1. My main goal is to simply finish. How embarrassing would it be to have the fancy blog with all these cool people watching me and not even be able to finish?...
It might be embarrassing no matter what. I just hope I have enough in my legs to not kill myself.
2. My secondary goal is to finish under 5 hrs. This is the time that will officially qualify me for the Comrades Marathon in June '08 (my ultimate ultimate running goal).
I think this is my realistic goal for the race. 5 hrs...I can do that, right? I don't know. We'll see.
3. My I think it may be doable goal is to finish under 4 hrs. 4 hrs looks so studly, doesn't it?
Running on tired legs this week. Don't know if this will be realistic or not. I'll probably start at this pace and keep it until I can't. 2 miles? 10 miles? We'll see. It will be fun no matter what.
4. My out-of-body experience goal is to finish under 3 hrs and 11 min. This will qualify me for the Boston Marathon.
Depends on what I eat for breakfast.
5. My I've been smoking crack today goal is to finish under 2 hrs and 46 min. There's no significance to that number at all, but it looks like a good, round crack number.
6. My Scarlett Johansson will go on a date with me (and pay the tab) goal is to finish under 2 hrs 4 min and 55 seconds. This will qualify me as the fastest marathon runner - EVER.
Great, this one just got a little harder. The marathon record was broken last weekend and now I'll have to beat 2 hrs 4 min 26 seconds. What a cruel, cruel world.