WHAT I'M GETTING MYSELF INTO
Here are a few interesting details about the Atacama Crossing.
1. The race is 250 kilometers/155 miles across the Atacama Desert in Northern Chile
- Stage 1 (March 6) 35.2 km / 21.9 miles
- Stage 2 (March 7) 41.8 km / 26.0 miles
- Stage 3 (March 8) 40.0 km / 24.9 miles
- Stage 4 (March 9) 42.8 km / 26.6 miles
- Stage 5 (Mar 10-11) 73.6 km / 45.7 miles
- Stage 6 (March 12) 16.0 km / 9.9 miles
3. Temperatures will reach over 100 degrees.
4. I'm carrying my own gear (including a week of food). My pack starting weight will be nearly 20 lbs, but it will get lighter - I hope - with each meal I eat.
HOW TO FOLLOW ME WHILE I'M IN CHILE
Pre-race (March 2-5):
- I'll post pre-race updates on my Facebook and Twitter pages when I'm able. I'll be spending a couple days in Santiago before heading up to race headquarters in San Pedro de Atacama.
- Check out my event-sponsored race blog each day. This will be my only access to the outside world while I'm in the desert. I'll be posting a short entry after each stage. Organizers will upload entries each evening via a satellite link. Leave comments for me - I'll be able to read them the following day. :)
- Stage updates can be found here.
- Sign-up for breaking news here.
- Organizers will also post race updates on the RacingThePlanet Twitter page here.
|Packed and ready to go|
I've been waiting a long time for this. Let's just hope my Achilles can hold up. :)