In the back of my head I've been entertaining the possibility that I can still run Rocky Raccoon in a couple weeks. Not the 100, but the 50 mile option (with my dad). Two weeks before my first 50 Km in September I was having similar issues with my right knee. A week before that race I did a test run and was able to go twenty miles relatively pain free. And even during the race the knee started acting up around mile six but I pushed through and when I finished there was no knee pain. In fact, since then I haven't had a single issue with my right knee.
My left knee is the issue now. I took it (my knee) for a mini test run yesterday and went six miles with less than exciting results. Though Sadie was semi-excited to go on a decent run, she still wants more. And my knee still needs more time.
Most of me is saying I need to just go down to Texas to cheer on my dad and don't even attempt to start the race. But a little part of me is thinking, "Hmmm, if I was able to push through it during a tough 50 Km a few months ago maybe I can push through it again." The Rocky course will be less demanding and time cut-offs really won't be an issue so I could go as slow as I need. Since it's a loop course the RD says as long as they're still supporting runners doing the 100 then he doesn't see why those doing the 50 can't stay on the course. So it's an extremely generous 29 hour cut-off. And I'd like to be on the course with my dad instead of on the sidelines.
As much as I'm trying to talk myself into at least giving the 50 a shot, I really want to have the willpower to skip it and focus on my April race in Spokane, which will give me the time to more slowly build up my running for the rest of the year.
In other news, several issues (specific dates, travel issues, etc) have led to my decision not the run the Comrades Marathon in South Africa this summer. This year isn't the right year for this specific race. This doesn't, however, mean I'm not making an international race trip this year. It just won't be the Comrades. I haven't used my passport in a couple years now and I'm itching bad. Right now I am looking at a July ultra in Iceland. Yes, Iceland. The Laugavegur Ultra Marathon. The timing is much better and, as a significant bonus, it's a trail run (Comrades is a road run). More details to come.